have to do these for my school hw and figure these out for my upcoming speaking test. anyways, please help me with these problems. ty (: !
1) What year were the first ancient Olympic Games held?
2) Where were the first ancient Olympic Games held?
3) Where were the first modern International Olympic Games held?
4) What was the prize given to the victors at the ancient Olympics Games?
5) What do the five rings on the Olympic flag signify?
6) What was the first official sport of the ancient Olympics? The foot race.
7) Name one ancient Olympic sport.
8) How many days were the ancient Olympics Games held?
9) Give one example of who was not allowed to compete in the ancient Olympics.
10) Name two modern Olympic sports.
See olympic.org for all the answers
1/2. It all started in Greece, in the Peloponnese, some 3,000 years ago. According to historical records, the first ancient Olympic Games can be traced back to 776 BC. They were dedicated to the Olympian gods and were staged on the ancient plains of Olympia.
3. Athens 1896
4. The Olympic victor received his first awards immediately after the competition. Following the announcement of the winner’s name by the herald, a Hellanodikis (Greek judge) would place a palm branch in his hands, while the spectators cheered and threw flowers to him. Red ribbons were tied on his head and hands as a mark of victory.
The official award ceremony would take place on the last day of the Games, at the elevated vestibule of the temple of Zeus. In a loud voice, the herald would announce the name of the Olympic winner, his father’s name, and his homeland. Then, the Hellanodikis placed the sacred olive tree wreath, or kotinos, on the winner’s head.
5. One ring for each contenent on the globe. At least one color of the rings appears in every flag of the world.
Running contests included:
– the stade race, which was the pre-eminent test of speed, covering the Olympia track from one end to the other (200m foot race),
– the diaulos (two stades – 400m foot race),
– dolichos (ranging between 7 and 24 stades).
8. The ancient Olympic Games were initially a one-day event until 684 BC, when they were extended to three days. In the 5th century B.C., the Games were extended again to cover five days.
9.Women, the were not even allowed to watch.
10. Summer sports:
Canoe / kayak
how old do u have to be to watch the olympics???
how old do u have to be to volenteer at the olympics?
do quolifications count as gcse?
if u volenteer when ur at skool but when the olympics start u finish can u still volenteer?
volunteer to work at the olympics?
i dont care how i spell stuff!!!
an its for the olympics 2012
If you don’t even care about spelling then why on earth would you deserve to represent our country as a volunteer?
You’d certainly be last on my list. Have a bit of pride in yourself!
ok so, what’s the deal with Dale Begg-Smith ?? why is he so secretive?
He seems like a cocky butthole. He is also one of those who profits off of internet spam and email spam. Screw him. Im glad he didn’t win.
How do the Special Olympics figure skating rules differ from the traditional Olympics?
I’m researching the differences between rules/requirements for figure skating in the Special Olympics and the traditional Olympics. The information at the official SO website is contained in really long PDF files which have a lot of information I don’t really need to know. I just want to know the basic, major differences between the two. Can someone summarize them for me? Thanks so much.
Look at this:
What do olympic track and field runners do when there not training for the olympics?
i know the trials are every four years
when the track runners arent running in the olympics… do they run in any other meets?
also, how old do you have to be to try out for track events?
Elite athletes are professionals that run in meets every year.
There are two world championships between the Olympics.
There are circuits that pay athletes each year.
Elite athletes train all year, they have different programs depending on the time of year, and they also run indoors.
There are no age limits on track and field athletes, but each country is limited to a maximum of three per event, but they may not have any in the event if their athletes do not meet the qualifying standards.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers